Inspired by a post that I referenced last November regarding transliterate QR codes, I decided to experiment with the idea myself. My GT 4th graders were working on poetry, and they are always glad to incorporate art into their projects. They created pictures to represent their poems, and I recorded them narrating their poetry. After posting the narrations on my website, I created a QR code for the unique URL for each narration. On our hallway bulletin board, I posted their art and poetry. However, I did not match them together. I challenged viewers to try to figure out which art accompanied each poem. They could then check their answers by scanning the QR codes in the corner of each artwork to hear the correct poem being narrated. In addition, I created two online polls, which also had QR codes posted on the board, so participants could vote on their favorite artwork and poetry.
As not every classroom has a device for scanning QR codes, I invited the other teachers in my wing to borrow our iPads so their students could participate. Today was the first day, and the students seemed to be enthusiastically scanning the board. My 4th graders are excited that others are taking such note of their work, and can’t wait to find out the results of the polls.
The one glitch we have encountered so far is that a teacher was using a community area for testing, and the noise of the narrations was distracting. A quick addition of headphones to the iPad fixed that, though.
I have many other ideas for extending this that I hope to try out during the rest of the school year. I will report back periodically with our progress.