Okay. So let’s recap here. This week we are talking about how to overcome your digital hoarding addiction. Here’s what has happened so far:
- Step #1 – Admit You Have a Problem
- Step #2 – Restore Sanity
- Step #3 – Examine Your Past Errors (such as thinking one tool would solve all of your problems or thinking another tool won’t help you at all.) My problem was that I couldn’t “Pocket” screen shots b/c they need to have a link.
For Step #4 you are going to learn a new code. Don’t worry; it’s easy…
IF This, Then That
IFTTT is THE essential tool. It’s the Leatherman of the digital world. In brief, it will let you connect practically anything to anything.
I’m not going to spend this whole post shouting out the virtues of IFTTT. Just go ahead and sign up for a free account and then:
*Note: These steps might be easier to do on a computer than a mobile device. No worries, though. You only have to do them once.
- Go to “Channels” and search for either iOS Photos or Android Photos.
- Click on the appropriate one. You will need to give information to connect your Photos to IFTTT.
- Go back to “Channels” and search for Bitly, and connect that, too (If you did Step #3 yesterday, then you should have a Bit.ly account already.) Connect it.
- Go back to “Channels” and search for Pocket. Connect that one as well.
- Next, click on “My Recipes” at the top.
- Click on “Create a Recipe.”
- Your first recipe will be
Of course, if you have an Android device, choose that instead of iOS. And this, my friends, is how confident I am that you will get IFTTT right away.
I’m not going to show you how to make the recipe. 😉
8. You aren’t done. You’ve basically just told IFTTT to make a public hyperlink for any screenshot you take on your mobile device. Now, you need to tell IFTTT to send the link from Bit.ly to Pocket.
Now, you’re done. I do need to warn you to give IFTTT a little time to rumble through these new recipes. After about 15 minutes, try taking a screenshot. Don’t expect it to show up on your Pocket list right away. It will probably take another 10-15 minutes.
But when it does, you will see how super cool IFTTT is. From now, every screenshot you take will be added to Pocket for you.
It will look something like this on your Pocket list (you probably won’t have a bulldog in your screenshot, though).
Now if you’ve followed instructions on these 4 posts, you should have everything streamlining into Pocket, where you can then search, tag, and curate to your heart’s content.
If you want, check out the other Channels on IFTTT. You can send things to Evernote if you prefer – or even Google Drive. I’m not claiming my way is the only way to gather info effectively.
It’s just the only way that has preserved my sanity 😉