Google has just released a new, free curriculum designed to teach digital citizenship and online safety. The program, called, “Be Internet Awesome,” consists of 5 parts:
- Share with Care – Be internet smart
- Don’t fall for Fake – Be internet alert
- Secure Your Secrets – Be internet strong
- It’s Cool to Be Kind – Be internet kind
- When in Doubt, Talk it Out – Be internet brave
The curriculum is downloadable, and is aligned with ISTE standards. There is also a video game for kids to play that supports the lessons.
I haven’t had the chance to explore all of the resources, but it is becoming more and more urgent that our students receive education in this area at an early age. The internet and social media are parts of our culture that are not going to go away, and it is our job to prepare our students to use these tools safely and effectively.