Here is a great site that gives an awesome description of how to conduct a “Mystery Skype” session with another class, preferably in a very different part of the world. Why would you want to plan a “Mystery Skype”? Here are the goals as listed on the site:
- Students will use map skills to find the location of the mystery classroom
- Students will use communication and critical thinking skills to ask questions to help them find the mystery location.
- Classes communicate with other classrooms via Skype or Google+ Hangouts.
- Students will learn to respect and appreciate the cultures and customs of others.
- Students will be able to see the differences and similarities between themselves and others around the world.
This fabulous resource offers suggestions for student roles, questions to ask, and clues to give to the other class. Mystery Skype also gives links to: a spreadsheet of teachers interested in participating in this project, a meeting planner so you can figure out the best time for your Skype call, and some other helpful links.
I can’t wait to sign my class up!