After getting a bit of a “Two Guys Bump” on their AR 101 video Tuesday, I thought I should give a progress update on the “You Matter – with a bit of Aurasmatazz” project (inspired by the work of Angela Maiers – who will be on the “Two Guys Show” in 2 weeks!).
Here are some obstacles I’ve encountered so far, along with possible solutions:
Videos sent in different file formats – I don’t know what other video formats work on the Aurasma app when using the iPad, but .mov is the one I’ve used for everything so far. Solution: If you get a file in a different format, which I have, and your computer does not have software to convert it, then Zamzar is a great online file converter.
Rotated videos – The weird thing is that several of the videos have played fine when I checked them on my school computer, but they rotated once I uploaded them in Aurasma Studio. Some are sideways; some are upside-down. I could not find a way to rotate the overlay (video) once it was in Aurasma. Solution: Go back and rotate the Trigger image outside of Aurasma, then re-upload it. To avoid this happening, I would upload all of your overlays (videos) first, so you know which Trigger images you need to fix before you waste time uploading them. (UPDATE: Here is another possible solution to rotated videos.)
Speaking of Trigger images…
Trigger images are not ideal – To get the Trigger images, I took screen shots from the videos the parents sent. The picture quality is not great, so when I upload them to Aurasma, I get a warning. So far, I’ve dismissed all of the warnings, and the Trigger images have worked fine. So, you don’t need a solution to this one – hopefully. (The reason I used screen shots instead of pictures sent by the parents is that it looks more “Harry Potter-ish” if you use an actual image from the video instead of a photo taken out of context for your trigger image.)
Difficulty reaching parents which is causing me to hyperventilate – I finally got my last e-mail address today for a parent, and sent out the request. So far, I have 7 videos (2 are from divorced parents for the same student) out of 47 students – and the deadline is Friday. Solution: Put it on the class blog, e-mail everyone again, and start getting out the phone numbers. If I were to start my year over again: Give the parents more time and/or invite them to an early parent meeting with the room set up next door and a volunteer to videotape them on the spot. (That would actually have solved all of the above problems, too – wrong file format, rotated videos and bad trigger images. Now I really wish I would have thought of that!)
Every video makes you cry – No solution for this except to stop being such a softy. Seriously. And, while we’re discussing that, stop bawling at that new Cheerios commercial, too…
One surprise that I’ve gotten so far – one parent, instead of just talking to the camera, did a short skit involving a stuffed animal with a whiteboard, and concluded the video in a costume. It was very creative!
If I haven’t scared you off from trying this, here is a link to a PDF file or an MS Word file that I created for printing the screen shots/Trigger images (I used a Pages poster template to make this.)
Update: See my conclusions about this project here.